Sickness Cert


If you have been sick for up to seven consecutive days, you can self–certify your illness using a SC2 form. This form can be obtained from your employer or by visiting the HMRC website. If you are unwell for more than seven days, you are advised to arrange an appointment to see a doctor to assess your fitness to work.

Statement of Fitness for Work

The doctor will provide you with a Statement of Fitness for Work (‘Fit Note’) if you are still not well enough to work. Your employer will most likely request this statement as evidence to support payment of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

Further information is available at the Direct.Gov website.

We strongly encourage you to attend surgery in relation to fitness to work. If, for some reason, you need to discuss your ‘Fit Note’ over the phone, please ring before 12 noon. The doctor will endeavour to return your call the same day.

Private Certificates

If you, or your employer, require further information concerning your period(s) of illness, then your doctor may have to issue you with a letter. Please note that a charge will apply for this service.